Note: This destination will almost always be “cheap” when valued purely from a CPM perspective. No notifications will be sent unless the route prices under $750. Almost every carrier has a “cheap” flight to India. If it’s not on sale with United, then Delta, KLM, Air France or British/American will have it on sale. This destination is listed as [Flight deals that look cheap, but aren’t worth posting about]. Read that post for more details on why it’s in that list.
At the moment, United and the Star Alliance are offering the cheapest flights to Mumbai “Bombay”, India (BOM) for $725 round-trip with either one or two layovers. To maximize mileage accrual, avoid flights that are operated by Lufthansa or Swiss. If United no longer has the route on sale, then it’s probably being offered by one of the other carriers. I won’t be updating this post often enough to track who has it on sale at any given time. If you’re actually interested in going here, just keep in mind that you’re not really saving that much money unless you see it in the low $700’s since someone is almost always offering a way here around $800 +/- $50.
Note: The following destinations in India will usually share the same fare basis code, and thus, be priced within the same range. Hyderabad, New Delhi, Ahmedabad, Chennai, Amritsar, and Bangalore. Usually, if Mumbai is on sale, those other destinations are on sale as well. I won’t be covering them individually, because it’s redundant. If you rather be in those destinations, it will usually be +$50 to whatever the price of Mumbai is at any given time.
It is so common to see Mumbai on sale that even at $725 this is barely deal-worthy in my opinion, but I wanted to put a post up covering it so people will quit asking me about it.
Delta with SkyTeam partners KLM and Air France will also often push this fare into the $700’s. Their fare will usually have a generous stopover component which will allow you to either stop in Amsterdam (AMS) or Paris (CDG) or both on the same fare for free or small fee. This is probably the best way to get to India if you want to do a side trip in Amsterdam or Paris with a multi-city itinerary. An example of how that would be constructed is here [How to find free stopovers on low cost airfare].
British Airways and Oneworld partner American Airlines will also have this route on sale very often. Their fare will usually have a stopover component which will allow you to stop in London. I won’t go into detail on constructing an itinerary with stopovers, it is covered on Escape Houston here: [How to use stopover rules when buying airfare].
When you begin your search for a Hotel or Vacation Rental in Bombay please use our TripAdvisor: Bombay link.
- Availability: Best availability for MON-WED flights.
- Documentation: Passport Required. [Visa Required].
- Departure and Destination Airports: DFW-BOM
- Example Dates: Apr 22 – Apr 29
- Carrier: United
- Fare Basis Code: KKKNC1NS
- Fare Class: K
- Mile Accrual: 100%
- Stopover component: none on United. Two on Delta. One on BA (in London).
- CPM: 5.0 (14496 miles) [note, adjusted for 0% accrual of Swiss flight from zrh-bom]
- Full Route: DFW-EWR-ZRH-BOM-EWR-DFW
- Open this itinerary on: Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire.
Our Affiliate Links:
This site receives referral credit when you use links on our page to open our affiliate’s page. By using our affiliate links when you begin your airfare or hotel search, you are supporting this site. Thanks.
- Airfare + Hotel: Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, CheapTickets.com, Expedia, Hotwire
- Airlines: Iberia, AirFrance, Hawaiian Airlines, Lufthansa, Swiss, Qatar Airways, Emirates, KLM
- Hotel Search: TripAdvisor, Hotels.com, HotelsCombined.com
Flights departing from a different city (our other websites):
- Flights from New York
- Flights from Chicago or Milwaukee
- Flights from Los Angeles (LAX, ONT, BUR, LGB, SNA)
- Flights from Seattle
- Flights from Portland, Oregon (PDX)
- Flights from Phoenix
- Flights from Denver
- Flights from Austin or San Antonio [Escape ATX]
- Flights from Houston [Escape Houston]
Other Useful Links:
- [Budget Travel] – list all the posts that deal with Budget Travel (filter out all the flight deal posts)
Want travel coupon codes? Go here: [Coupon Codes for Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity and Priceline].