[03/28/2018 @ 10:38 PM] Book this fare on: Priceline, BookingBuddy, Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, CheapTickets, Hotwire.
[06/09/2018 @ 3:15 PM] Still available.
[07/13/2018 @ 1:14 PM] Still available. Added Cozumel to this page.
[08/13/2018 @ 11:28 PM] Old deal. Removing from deal list.
Deals are usually valid 24 to 72 hours after posting, but can expire at any time (see time-stamp).
American Airlines has “Basic Economy” round-trip flights from Dallas (DFW) to Cancun (CUN) for $191-$195 and Cozumel (CZM) for $311, NONSTOP. One-ways are also available for half that. Cancun flights July to December. Cozumel flights in July and August. Weekend departures available. No Christmas/NYE.
Note: Cancun has been in this price range since last year. It’s now common to see it at this price and we will be sending out fewer price notifications for Cancun unless it dips further.
Note: “Basic Economy” fares do not include a free carry-on bag. Only a small personal item, like a Jansport City Scout backpack is free. Checked bags cost +$25 each-way. Seats are randomly assigned prior to boarding. If you have an AAdvantage credit-card you can avoid bag fees and get priority boarding.
Note: I’m currently using the Jansport Right Pack as my “personal item” when I fly in “basic economy”. Which is slightly more than expensive than the Jansport City Scout because its fabric is Cordura instead of Polyester. Both have the same dimensions which are: 18″ x 13″ x 8.5″. There is half-an-inch of extra depth than what is officially allowed by AA, but it has never been a problem for me. The bag has a large main compartment, which makes it ideal for stuffing as much as you can into the limited amount of space.
- Cancun – Example Dates: (Priceline / BookingBuddy) Jul 21 – Jul 25 / Aug 04 – Aug 08 / Aug 11 – Aug 16 / Aug 25 – Aug 30 / Sep 01 – Sep 06 / Sep 07 – Sep 12 / Sep 14 – Sep 19 / Sep 21 – Sep 26 / Sep 28 – Oct 03 / Oct 06 – Oct 10 / Oct 13 – Oct 17 / Oct 20 – Oct 24 / Oct 27 – Oct 31 / Nov 03 – Nov 07 / Nov 10 – Nov 14 / Dec 01 – Dec 04 / Dec 07 – Dec 10 / Other dates: There are more dates available than the ones we list here, experiment on your own. Use the “Flexible Dates” tool on Priceline.
- Cozumel – Example Dates: (Priceline / BookingBuddy) Jul 17 Jul 24 / Jul 20 – Jul 24 / Jul 26 – Aug 02 / Jul 31 – Aug 07 /
Aug 03 – Aug 07/ Aug 07 – Aug 14 / Aug 10 – Aug 14 / Other dates: There are more dates available than the ones we list here, experiment on your own. Use the “Flexible Dates” tool on Priceline.
When you are ready to book your flight or hotel, please use the links on our page to begin your booking process so we receive credit for the referral.
- Tips: Rent a car for cheaper by using Priceline’s “Express Deals”. The rental car company will be hidden until after you purchase, but this allows those companies to undercut the published rate indirectly. You can remove low quality companies from those hidden results. The trick is to use the quality filter on their website to remove any rental car company with a review rating under 7.0 and then pick the deals that survive the filter.
- Tips: The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card allows for 1-to-1 point transfers to several airline loyalty programs. Booking with points is a good alternative to paying with cash when the price of airfare is high. Here is the current list of Chase Sapphire transfer partners: United, Southwest, jetBlue, British Airways, Iberia, Singapore Airlines, Emirates, Air France, KLM, Virgin Atlantic, Aer Lingus, and Air Canada.
- Tips: Vacation rentals on Vrbo are usually cheaper per night for longer stays than shorter stays. This is due to three main factors; The first is that most properties have a cleaning fee that is a fixed rate, the second is that many hosts provide discounts for stays longer than 6-days, the third is that the Vrbo service fee percentage is higher on short stays.
- Tips: You can (and should) sort the Vrbo vacation rental search results by “Total” price. Doing so exposes properties with high fees. For example, a $140 per-night property with $100 fees will rank as being more expensive than a $150 per-night property with $30 fees, when sorted. Sorting by “most reviews” is also a good option, as this will show you the most popular properties.
- Tips: Use Tripadvisor to create a Hotel “short list”. First, plug in your dates and destination. Then select “Sort by Traveler Ranked”. Finally, select the “Traveler Ranking” filter to show “only 4* and up”. Use this resulting “short list” of hotels to find the cheapest one with a high ranking.
- Tips: Hotel rates for Weekend dates are usually higher than the rates for Sunday through Thursday. Tripadvisor has a color-coded date calendar, red when the average hotel price for that day is more expensive, green for less expensive. You can use this to get an overview of what dates in the month are at a discount.
- Tips: Different booking websites will often have differing routes, prices, and availability. Before you finalize your purchase, do a quick check on BookingBuddy, Skyscanner, and Kayak to see if any other site or airline is offering a better deal.
- Join our instant notification Telegram Channels: (Dallas / Houston / Austin & San Antonio / New York / Chicago & Milwaukee / Los Angeles / Seattle / Portland / Phoenix / Denver).
- Follow us on Instagram (Dallas / Houston / Austin & San Antonio / New York / Chicago / Los Angeles / Seattle / Portland / Phoenix / Denver).
- Say Hello on Twitter (Dallas / Houston / Austin & San Antonio / New York / Chicago / Los Angeles / Seattle / Portland / Phoenix / Denver).
- Like us on Facebook (Dallas / Houston / Austin & San Antonio / New York / Chicago / Los Angeles / Seattle / Portland / Phoenix / Denver).
I was able to pull this fare up on Priceline. Screenshot taken at 2:37 PM on 07/13/18.
- Previous Lowest Price Average: CUN=$230
- Book this fare on: Priceline, BookingBuddy, Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, CheapTickets, Hotwire.
Our Affiliate Links:
This site receives referral credit when you use links on our page to open our affiliate’s page. By using our affiliate links when you begin your airfare or hotel search, you are supporting this site. Thanks.
- Airfare + hotel: Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, CheapTickets.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Skyscanner, Kayak
- Vacation rentals: Vrbo
- Airlines: Iberia, Hawaiian Airlines, Lufthansa, Swiss, Qatar Airways, Emirates, KLM
- Hotel search: TripAdvisor, Hotels.com, HotelsCombined.com, Booking.com, Agoda
- Car rental: Priceline, Rentalcars.com
Flights departing from a different city (our other websites):
- Flights from New York
- Flights from Chicago or Milwaukee
- Flights from Los Angeles (LAX, ONT, BUR, LGB, SNA)
- Flights from Seattle
- Flights from Portland, Oregon (PDX)
- Flights from Phoenix
- Flights from Denver
- Flights from Austin or San Antonio [Escape ATX]
- Flights from Houston [Escape Houston]
Other Useful Links:
- [Budget Travel] – list all the posts that deal with Budget Travel (filter out all the flight deal posts)